Sunday, March 14, 2010

Teen Girliness (with crappy cell phone photo evidence)

My company hired a big pile of of new people last week, and a few days ago they were herded through my office area on a meet-other-departments style field trip. I looked around at my desk and realized that, if one were to guess my personality/age/interests based on the junk decorating my cubicle, they'd probably assume I was a fourteen year old girl.

I have a small purple hair troll, and an O'Fortune Beanie Baby. (I am not into Beanie Babies, but he was a gift from a co-worker to celebrate my St. Patrick's day birthday, and he is quite dashing in his little green hat and bow tie.)

Pinned up to my cubicle walls I have several pages cut from a Mary Englebreit page-a-day calendar I had a few years ago; one with cutesy doves that says, "There is no more lovely, friendly, and charming relationship, communion, or company than a good marriage", and one with a cutesy bride and groom that says, "What greater thing is there for two human souls to feel that they are joined for life". Sure, husband/marriage is slightly better than boyfriend/hopeless unrequited crush, but it's still the same gist.



I have a photo of my cat.


I have an "I heart Jim" (from The Office) coffee mug full of pens.


Most incrimiating of all, due to the aforementioned calendar debacle, I have a Twilight calendar with a photo of Bella and Edward on it.


I look around at all this stuff, slightly embarrassed at the ridiculousness and teen girliness of it all, and then I glance down and see my fingernails, which, in celebration of the Oscars last weekend, I painted bright sky blue. With a top layer of glitter.

All right, I give up. I'm going to go buy some Hello Kitty jewelry and a Tiger Beat magazine.   :)

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, Ellen! I am glad to know I am not the only one sending mixed office messages.
    I have a pink-haired troll with a walkman (a gift with a nod to my radio past), a Pinky and the Brain toy that puts out a sigh that reads "YOU WILL OBEY" when it is activated, stacks of federal regulations and cannibalistic paper littering all flat workspaces AND a salt shaker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds cute, Wooz. Really, aren't trolls kind of classic and ageless? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Ellen!

    I've read all the Twilights...love the souls quote from ME...have a few trolls of my own (orange hair)...and an overabundance of Hello Kitty goodies...all rescued from my girls when they outgrew them in fifth grade. (I thought they were so cute...kept everything...and use them in my own office). The only thing I don't have is the Tiger Beat mags but had lots of them in my time!! My goal is to be the (slightly) more mature, female version of Peter Pan. Never to grow up...always to feel the joy and wonder.

    Hope you're having a happy Easter my kind friend. We are in San Diego and just have been experiencing all those amazing earth quakes sent up to us from Baja Cali. They were pretty long ones...especially the 7.2 but not a lot of damage thank the good Lord. I am worried about my kitties up in OC but we're having a friend go over to check on them. All is well now and we're enjoying a beautiful sunny day...I hope your day is lovely and happy. :)

    Love from,
    Tracey
    x0x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tracey! The earthquakes sounded pretty scary, I hope the kitties are fine. My cat runs and hides during a rainstorm, I can't even imagine how much she'd dislike an earthquake.

    Glad to hear there wasn't too much damage. Take care! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Watch out for Hello Kitty. She will lure you to the pink side, with cupcakes...

    Catazure: I really want that Pinky and the Brain toy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm finally catching up with my blog reading. And there's nothing I love more than encountering a woman unafraid to declare her own immaturity.

    Update please. That is an order.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!