Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Watching TV

I was pooting around on the tv, looking for something interesting, and I saw that the entire season of Nurse Jackie was on Showtime On Demand, so I watched the first few minutes of the first show. I thought it looked well-made, but fairly depressing and sad. I turned it off.

But then I kept thinking about it.

So I went back and watched a few more minutes, and turned it off AGAIN, because I really hate tragic medical shows, they just make me cry and fear hospitals. Plus, it did not appear to have any vampires it in at all. Isn't there some sort of regulation that every new show has to have vampires?

But I still kept thinking about it.

I finally gave in and watched the whole episode, and I thought it was brilliant.

Me: I saw the first episode of Nurse Jackie, and it was pretty awesome, I know you would love it.
My husband: Nah.


Two days later
Me: No, seriously. It reminded me of the first episode of the Sopranos, it's like a movie.
My husband: I don't like Edie Falco.
Me: Yes, you do.
My husband: Why would I want to watch a show about a nurse?
Me: Why would you want to watch a show about a high school glee club, or people in an office? If a show is well-written and has interesting characters that you care about, it doesn't matter what it's "about". (Yes, I made air quotes with my fingers.)
My husband: Nah!

The next day, there's nothing on TV, and I say: Nurse Jackie is on On Demand... just sayin'.
My husband: The whole season?
Me: The whole season.
My husband: I'm not interested.
Me: Yes, you are.
My husband: I'll give it ten minutes, and I am going to bail if I don't immediately love it.
Me: Deal!

Five minutes later he said he loved it. I win!

Three hours later we had watched the first 5 episodes in a row. We kept pausing the DVR so we could talk about the show, and whatever strange/immoral/shocking/illegal thing Jackie had just done. Jackie is that kind of character that is sympathetic yet exceedingly flawed, and most fun to watch. I wouldn't want to be her, and I don't know if I could even be friends with her. I do, for sure, want to see what she does next. Apparently this show has received a butt-ton of praise from critics, and had excellent ratings. Within the next couple of days we had watched the entire season, and I'm so glad it's been renewed for a second season. I can't wait to see what happens.

Of course, it's not quite as good as True Blood. :)

6 comments:

  1. Okay, okay. I give in. I'm going to watch Nurse Jackie. Your convo with your husband could have been a convo with me, with me playing your husband's role. So, I'm going to give the show 5 minutes...will let you know if I fall in love, too.

    Always great to see a post from you, ellen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Please let me know what you think.

    Like I said, it has great characters and, in my opinion, is really well done.

    I stupidly feel like I am introducing my friends to each other, though one is a virtual online friend whom I have never met, and the others are actually fictional.

    This should possibly be a clue to reexamine my priorities, if not my actual definition of reality.

    Whatever. Let me know how you like them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you love LOVE it when you get to prove that you're right???? Nurse Jackie ? I've never heard of this!? **oh wait** Ok I googled it and I have seen the reviews - I thought it was a comedy :P Thanks for the heads up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol! Funny how one does really feel friendship for some people they know only through blogworld. I say we are extending our definition friendship! There are many ways to be friends. Haven't watched Nurse Jackie yet, but it now feels as I have something to look forward to--as soon as I can shake loose the time! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ellen, that sounds so much like me and my hubby talking... about anything! He still doesn't realize that I know what's best for him even though it's been proven time and time again! ;>

    Check out the Giveaway on my blog post today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lil Mrs. Gringa ~ I DO love it when I can prove I'm right. I'm always right, and it's so tragic when I am the only one who knows!

    Angella ~ The episodes are only half an hour!! What could possibly be a bigger priority than watching tv? :)

    Deborah ~ Thanks for the head's up about the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!